This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
We already know that Mexico is full of colour, tradition, natural surroundings and landscapes that leave first-time visitors breathless. However, have you ever discovered its more alternative side? We are referring to the symbolic festivals that are celebrated all over the country at different times of the year that quite-rightly deserve to be on the list of top things to do in Mexico. Are you planning your trip to this little piece of heaven?
1. The Cumbre Tajin festival: the festival of festivals. This festival pays homage to the city of El Tajin, from the pre columbian era. It is celebrated in three zones: Takilhsukut Theme Park, the archeological zone of El Tajin and the main square of Papantla. During springtime, the city is alive with colour, music, alternative therapies and rituals, games, concerts, expositions and screenings. Discover the magic this traditional celebration holds and explore Mexico’s history. You will definitely want to come back next year!
2. Eurojazz: this is for all the jazz lovers. Enjoy the lively sounds of this music genre at different stages, where you will get to listen to the most famous jazz performers in Europe. This lively festival is held during every weekend in March.
3. The FIG- Festival Internacional del Globo (International Hot Balloon Festival): In November, the sky in Guanajuato is filled with an incredible array of colourful hot air balloons in a festival consisting of concerts, magic and all different art exhibitions. Come and see for yourself!
4. Vive Latino Festival: The birthplace of alternative rock. This vibrant festival takes place in March and welcomes many national and international artists, such as: Fito Páez, Gorillaz, Love of Lesbian and Noel Gallagher, amongst others.
5. Riviera Maya Jazz Festival: The sounds of jazz in one of the most incredible natural landscapes imaginable. Riviera Maya is filled with incredible music during this festival in December in the stunning destination of Playa del Carmen.
6. Electric Planet: this is where you will find the best of electronic music in October, with artists such as: DJ Snake and Major Lazer, amongst others.
7. Festival de Cultura del Caribe (Caribbean Culture Festival): discover the culture of the Caribbean through the parades, expositions and gastronomic fairs in Riviera Maya. Have fun and enjoy the sounds and lively music of this festival which is celebrated in November.
Enjoy a true Mexican celebration and have a magical time at these festivals on your all-inclusive holiday. Are you ready to get to know us? Get set to have an incredibly fun time in Mexico!