10 tips for paddle boarding
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
It’s a reality: paddle boarding is now trendy and we encourage you to try it whilst on your holiday. Are you looking for a new challenge? If you are looking for things to do in Jamaica, we recommend this sport as this is the best way to try something new whilst keeping cool in the sea. Paddle boarding, or SUP for short, may seem like a simple sport with not much movement, but this is a sport that requires a lot of strength, persistence and balance, meaning that during the first few times you get on the board, you might end up falling easily. However, this is why the pleasant Jamaican climate comes in handy: when you fall you know you’re falling into the refreshing sea water. Want to know our handy tips to become a pro in no time? Here are some things to keep in mind before you start paddle boarding:
1. Keep looking towards the horizon. A way to keep balanced as much as possible is to remain facing the horizon at all times, as, if you focus too much on your feet, the sea or your friends, you risk ending up in the water.
2. Row with your entire body, not just with your arms. One of the most popular mistakes to make is to only row with your arms. If you don’t use other parts of your body, you will end up feeling tired with achy arms.
3. Submerge your paddle.To work your muscles well, you need to submerge your paddle completely in the sea to row better. Your hands needn’t be too close together, one should be at the end of the paddle and the other in the middle.
4. Keep your whole body balanced. Your feet should also be in line with your shoulders. Once you have gotten on your board, you need to use all your body to keep yourself balanced.
5. Get on your paddle board from the back end. This is the best way to keep balanced as you get on the board. Use the centre of the board to support your chest and get up on your knees. After that, getting up on your feet should be very easy!
6. Use a special cord to tie one of your wrists to the board. With this, even if you fall into the water, it will much easier to get up again.
7. Your wellbeing comes first. The first time you go out to sea, stay with your group at all times and use a life vest. Don’t go out too far and always pay attention to your instructors’ instructions.
8. Choose good weather. For your first time we recommend choosing a day that boasts good weather and sea conditions so you can enjoy your adventure on the board to the maximum.
9. A safe distance. paddle boarding in a group is fun but it is best to keep a safe distance from your friends in case of falls.
10. Enjoy yourself! Your attitude is everything and you will need a lot of patience in SUP if you want to learn how to keep yourself steady on the sea. Take a breath and keep calm, anyone can learn to paddle board, especially you!
What could be more fun than challenging yourself to try to stay on a paddle board? We don’t know for sure what makes paddle boarding so attractive but what we do know is that is one of the best activities to do in Jamaica during your holiday, at no additional cost thanks to your all-inclusive package. Check out the official Scubaquatic website for information on courses and schedules and discover one of the most popular sports of the moment