What to visit in Tenerife?
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
Laugh, savour, swim and wander…On holiday you search for all kinds of experiences to enjoy your time to the maximum, and Tenerife is the perfect place for this.This is an island that has everything and will give you everything so you leave with unforgettable memories. If you have already booked your flight and all inclusive hotel in Tenerife, let us show you 7 different sides to this spectacular island.
- The landscape: A visit to the highest peak in Spain, Mount Teide, will leave you with the most impressive view imaginable. The cable car will lead you on an incredible 8 minute journey to the top, where from, and after seeking permission to do so, you can walk between the volcanic lava until you reach the peak, (at a height of more than 3,700 metres) the beauty of which will take your breath away.
- Flavour: Simple and cosmopolitan, the food of the Canary Islands will take you on a sensory journey through all different influences, from “Guanche”, to Latin America and its neighbouring continent, Africa. From the “papas con mojo picón” (potatoes with spicy mojo sauce) to “gofio” (type of flour) “puchero canario” (meat and vegetable stew) and “dulce frangollo” (a typical dessert), the dishes that you will try in the Canary Islands, alongside the excellent wine, contain the very essence of this spectacular island.
- The beach: The great all-year-round weather means an unmissable visit to some of the island’s most beautiful beaches. There are beaches for all preferences, but we recommend those with sand of volcanic origins. Take Los Gigantes as an example: not only will you enjoy the sea on the west coast of the island, but you will also be impressed by the cliffs that reach up to 600 metres in height.
- The city: There is room for everything on this island, including San Cristóbal de la Laguna, a charming city declared a World Heritage Site in 1999 for being a shining example of unwalled colonial cities. If you take a stroll through the old district, you will be able to admire the colourful mansions of a city that resonates life through its university and vibrant social atmosphere. If you wish to get to know the city better, visit some of its churches and squares or visit the Teide Observatory to discover more about one of Spain’s most famous treasures.
- The fauna: There are few experiences as incredible as diving with whales and dolphins.These animals find in Tenerife a perfect place to live all year round or a pleasant stop for migration. Do not miss out on the vast array of excursions in Tenerife to help you fully enjoy your incredible natural surroundings.
- The flora: If you love greenery and all the colour it offers, lose yourself in the Anaga Rural Park. Since the park extends from sea level to high peaks, you will discover a variety of flora here that is difficult to see in any other natural park, like the recognised species, the Laurisilva, which keeps the soil ever-humid with the impression of producing ‘horizontal rain’.
- The culture: With is being just as good as the one in Sydney, the Tenerife Auditorium (Auditorio de Tenerife) is known on the island as the place to enjoy music and international culture and is also a popular tourist attraction thanks to its impressive wave design that will leave you speechless.